MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Garage & Tool Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
TPogue
Floater

Default Replacing florecent shop lights with LED

Over the last 20 years I have replaced the ballasts in some of my shop lights, a couple of them twice.

I've been looking on line for 8 foot LED fixtures and see most are 4 footers but I see there is a retro kit for the 8 foot 2 bulb fixtures like the ones I have in my shop.

Has anybody on here done this?
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
51iron
Hoser

I did the retro fit on some of my 2 bulb 8" with the 4 buld kit. It was easy to do and they are brighter.
51iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
TPogue
Floater

Where did you get yours?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
51iron
Hoser

lighting inc. off memorial about 43rd st.
51iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
TPogue
Floater

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
CamaroDoc
I live here!

I realize that this is an old thread, but I have some relevant information to add. I just converted my bosses shop & the Birds Nest to LEDs, both 8' shop lights and 4' office lights, bypassing and removing the ballasts altogether.

The 8' single lights were pretty simple. Both tombstones at one end get hooked to the black power wire. The opposite ends were connected to the white, and the ballast was totally removed. You can see the LED strip inside the tube. Rotate it to the top for max light output. Single bulbs will work in this configuration.

The 4' office lights are a little different. Each bulb has 2 pins on either end. On the end closest to the power wires coming into the fixture, one wire from each tombstone gets connected to the black hot wire. The other two wires from the same end get connected to the white wire. Both tombstones at the other end are cut completely out of the system and do nothing more than hold up that end of the tube. Again the ballast is totally removed. The 4' LED tubes will only operate in one direction. There should be a label on the LED tube at one end. Hook that end to the powered end of the fixture, again with the LED strip on top for max light. Single bulbs will function in this configuration as well.

8' LED bulbs are available online but the shipping is brutal. Skiatook Auto Supply has the 8 footers in stock for $28 each if you want to grab some somewhat locally. The 4 footers are now available at walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc...

Also, For the love of God, Turn off the power before starting this conversion...

The gas pedal is the one on the right....
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #7
Crab
I live here!

I have been buying the 4' Hybrid LED tubes from Lighting Inc. for about $9 each. They work with or without a ballast. If the ballast is bad, you just wire them like the 8' ones you were talking about. black to one end and white to the other end. If the ballast is good, they will still work, but they seem to take a second to turn on.

CRAB
Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
CamaroDoc
I live here!

True. I have one fixture in my bedroom that is done that way. There are 3 different ways to wire those but the one I described eliminates the ballasts totally. The ballasts are a big part of the energy draw causing heat and higher energy pull that isn't necessary. $$$. I also have a small pile of dead 4" fixtures that haven't made it to a dumpster yet. Excellent candidates for conversion and reuse. I have a few 4 footers at my house that will get LEDs too. My kitchen only has one window at one end. It can use all the light it can get...lol
The 8 footers take a second to come on too, but man, what a difference... I'm sold on them. I'm looking at doing all the fixtures in my shop as money permits (about 30 fixtures).

The gas pedal is the one on the right....

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 06-03-2020 at 10:32 PM.
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
Bluedot
I live here!

I converted my puny garage to LEDs last year. Amazing improvement. Still pretty expensive, but coming down. They make work (especially bodywork) so much easier.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote