Old 07-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #82
TPogue
Floater

Ouch I hate it when that happens
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #83
Wrenchbender
Floater

Well here is another update for the ol poisoniveydodge my engine sponsor had another 440 that was real close to the specs of the one that blew up so he decided to just put it in the race car till we can get the other one fixed so the new used motor went in with a different converter I also installed the injector ad hooked everything up primed it with a dose of gas and it fired right up and was very crisp but had a bad miss at an idle so after checking and double checking the ignition and injector setup I decided to run a compression check and found all the driver side cylinders had 230 lbs of compression moved to the pass side and found that it had a blown head gasket between #4 &#6 cyl but all of the others were equal so I pulled the cylinder head and then found a horrid sight when the block had been scorched real bad so out it comes again this new used motor had a blown head gasket for a good while but when I was tuning the injection it made it real bad it just seems I canít get a break this year however I spoke with the machine shop on the condition of the block that broke a rod and believe it or not itís not broke and is in good shape along with the crank itís straight and other than needing a polish itís good too so now we are gonna take the pair of them and put a motor back together hopefully I can get it all lined out in the near future
Wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #84
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Well

Is the 440 back together?
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #85
Wrenchbender
Floater

Guess I need to update this thread to answer your question yes the 440 is back together I got it back together just before H.A.M.B. Drags and was able to make one pass which wasnít very good but I made a pass lol I have since only been able to make one pass each time I have run it for multiple reasons but I have since found the biggest issue with it rpm is the problem this thing likes rpm but the lower end doesnít lol so I have finally gotten a rev limiter that works with a mag I have tried different styles but settled with a auto meter pro control itís the only one Iíve found that will work with a vertex mag and itís successful so far the last run I made a couple fri ago it ran 11.95 @117mph but due to starter issues I havenít gotten another pass yet plans are to run at tnt tomorrow night at mokan but the weather doesnít look like Iíll get an opportunity so those who have been doin a rain dance Iím telling you stop that crap right now lol next weekend Iíll be running at George rays and will swap the 4.86 gears back in as it is 1/8 mile and it will need them to get it moving better than the 3.91 gears do then back to the 3.91 for mokan the following week for the hot rod reunion Ive been sneaking up on the tune on the injector it runs good but is still pretty rich and timing is conservative at 32 degrees I canít afford any more breakage so Iím playing it safe I sure like the look of the stack injector and it works good but I would much rather have a blower and a stick shift Iím thinkin next year Iíll get back to my dragster and work with something I know how to make work lol
Wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #86
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Well

Glad it's starting to come together. If slowing down helps it live to race another day, it's worth it.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote