MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Member's Rides
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
gasserman
Hoser

Default 1963 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe

My first race car was a `63 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe. It was originally build by a good friend Ronnie Littrell of Bartlesville. He had pulled everything out of his 40 Willys coupe to build the Fairlane as a street/strip car. It had no back seat only a carpeted floor area with a 4 point roll bar. Powered with a Cobra 260 and a 4 speed into dana 44 with 5.38 gears. It went thru a couple of other buyers before I got . I always thought it was so cool with roll bar & 4 speed and was painted a Caddy silver metallic and a black roof. So I bought it as my first real race car. The guy I bought it from wanted the 260 & 4 speed back ,so we made a deal . And now it was mine to build , put a 289 & toploader in it with 5.43 9 inch in it . I made the first big race in May of 1972, it was National Challenge `72 in Tulsa. I flat towed it with a bolt on tow bar from U-Haul. Boy what a pain to put on and take off. I race it a couple of years and then sold it back to the guy I bought it from. After that we lost track of it. Ronnie and I both have looked for it for alot of years , never did find it. So just a about a month ago I found a pair of Hardtops ,so I could build me a street car out of. It`s going to be like my first pretty much ,just now I have a few more skills to get it done this time. More on it later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.JPG (103.8 KB, 16 views)
gasserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Bluedot
Floater

Great storyline, Bill. Judging from your other recent builds, it's gonna be a real nice car.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Yep

Ah, a 260. We used to run a 62 Ranchero with a 260 four speed. Nice little motors.

I'll bet your new Fairlane won't have 5.43s. 😉
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
gasserman
Hoser

No 5.43`s this time. But I`m going to be using a set of 3.70 and a locker.But either way it should be fun. Got the frontend all apart and now got blast it . Then it`s painting time and on to replacing all the wore out junk. But first I`ve got do the shock tower mods for header clearance, plug changes ,ETC. I`ll get some pictures tomorrow and post them .
gasserman is offline   Reply With Quote