MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > The Pond
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Rev58
Hoser

Default Big weekend

Who's headed to Missouri this weekend for the HAMB Drags and Springfield swapmeet? Twenty fifth year of setting up at the swapmeet, come by and visit at S97 and S99, real close to the front gate, and across from the huge ass tool vendor from Iowa.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Crab
I live here!

I'm planning on hitting the Swapmeet all day Friday and heading back to Joplin for the parking lot party at the HAMB drags host hotel. The La Quinta, which was the original host hotel when it was the Ramada.
Gates open at MoKan at 11 for the HAMB drags. Still only $10 to get in and see a lot of cool stuff.
This will make my 15th year attending and taking pics at the drags.
Hope to see a lot of current and former Floaters.

CRAB
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
TPogue
Floater

I will be up for the drags Saturday.
See ya there
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Bluedot
Floater

Duck and I sure wanted to go, but it wasn't in the cards. Something about Mrs Duck's birthday. Priorities... Family first. Always.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
TPogue
Floater

Was a good day for a duck for sure. HaHa
Had a good time in spite of the rain.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Bluedot
Floater

Turns out I'm glad we didn't go. Duck has a bucket list of things he wants to do, and one of them was a ride in an open cockpit biplane. After pursuing leads for years, Saturday morning the stars aligned, and he got that ride in a Stearman, flying out of Jones Riverside. He posted that on FB, but I know some Floaters don't go there. (We float, we don't face, haha.)
Anyway, I'll prod him a bit to post the adventure over here, and credit the folks who made it happen. It was a fun time, and he enjoyed the mechanicals of the plane as much as the flight itself.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
CamaroDoc
Floater

I got a ride in a blue and yellow 48 Stearman several years ago. It's owned by a man here in Skiatook and he was selling rides as a fundraiser for the Rotary club at the Skiatook Pioneer Day Festival. I love to fly and that had been on my bucket list as well. I wound up on the front page of the newspaper.... When I was a teenager, Bob Hower (ex channel 8 news anchor) offered me a ride in his white biplane out of Harvey Young airport. Unfortunately, I had to be somewhere else and couldn't take him up on his offer.

One of these days I'd like to get my pilots license. A pilot instructor friend of mine showed me the ropes in a Piper Cherokee, and it's not that difficult to fly a small plane but there is no room for any mistakes.... In the ongoing battle between aircraft and gravity, gravity still has yet to lose...

The gas pedal is the one on the right....
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Well

That's cool Doc., I always had a soft spot for bi-planes since I was a kid and my brother and I would watch the crop dusters land on the dirt strip by the cotton gin a few miles from our house. We would lay in the ditch at the end of the strip with stick guns playing like we were shooting down the Red Baron.
Not safest thing to do if the planes would have landed short, but we were kids and didn't know any better.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
TPogue
Floater

There is a yellow Stearman now where my dad lives, wonder if it is the same one. The guy who has it now is giving flying lesdons in it and sometimes leaves it over at Skiatook airport.
By the way there is a Make a Wish fund raiser this Saturday at Airmanís Acres.
There will be a car show and maybe even some plane rides there as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 460E0278-39A9-4759-839D-E67A81C7FB98.jpg (24.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
CamaroDoc
Floater

I've seen that yellow one flying around. The blue and yellow one I rode in belongs to Chester Reichert, the owner of Skiatook Statuary. Really nice guy...

The gas pedal is the one on the right....
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote