MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Tech Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Bluedot
Floater

Default Paint advice - metal etch primer

I've shot lacquer primer on bare metal many times, and never had a problem. But I've done more product research this time, and almost all advice is that over bare steel (I have acres of it on the '40 sedan), I should use an etching primer first, before the usual primer/surfacer. Hmmmm... that's new to me. The tech sheet says this stuff shoots as is - no thinning. And it must have a standard primer coat before topcoat.
Anyone have any product experience or advice here?
BTW, spare me the lecture about why I'm using lacquer, urethanes and epoxies being the way to go. I now they're better paints, but I am not equipped to shoot those dangerous products in my garage. Lacquer I can handle - only need a respirator. Not to mention lacquer's more forgiving.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
67falcon
Floater

Etching primer gets down in the pits and hides iimperfections better when u sand it. It also helps the finish primer take better. Also a good primer ive always used is k200 its a light yellow primer it shoots really ez. Nothing wrong w using those paints u want to use they shoot real ez and ez to color.sand ur flaws.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Bluedot
Floater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67falcon View Post
Etching primer gets down in the pits and hides iimperfections better when u sand it.
Interesting - I had no idea. Makes sense when you think about it. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Well

I used to shoot lacquer without a respirator and got chemical bronchitis. So be sure to mask up.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Bluedot
Floater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane62 View Post
I used to shoot lacquer without a respirator and got chemical bronchitis. So be sure to mask up.
Absolutely! I wear a mask even when using a rattle can, and always a respirator when using the gun. But thanks for looking out for me.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Bluedot
Floater

Well, like all hotrodding projects, a step forward often means another step or two back. I've shot the etching primer on all 4 fenders, the roof, trunk lid, and one rear quarter so far. What it has done is revealed several small dings and dents I'd not been able to see before. No big deal for most hotrodders, but even a very small bondo project can take me hours and many do-overs. I guess my sanding technique sucks. I know what I am supposed to do, but am just incompetent at it. I get there eventually, but it takes me forever. Gonna be a long bondo winter, but I look fwd to the smell.
Ordered some Rage Gold last night. I learned on my last two projects that spending extra $ for body filler is absolutely worth it.
BTW 67 Falcon, this etching primer is not a sandable primer, and not meant to fill anything. Sole purpose is a good bond to bare metal (SEM product). I will put a sealer over that, then a hi build primer/surfacer, and finally the color (single stage).