MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Member's Rides
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #71
Bluedot
Floater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane62 View Post
Bluedot, was the A.C. specific for the car, or was it a generic unit?
A little of both. The evaporator is a Vintage Air Gen II, and I'd read of another '40 professionally built that used that unit. It is not '40 specific. VA makes some smaller units, but this car is so huge inside that I wanted to use the biggest I could.
I bought a VA condenser/drier set-up that was said to be for '39s and '40s, and by all appearances in the product listing, I thought that meant it came assembled, or was at least a bolt in. It was neither. All the parts were there, but some bending/cutting/tweaking was needed to make them work. I was pretty disappointed - I thought VA did better than that.
I also got their long hose version of an installation kit, which was supposed to have everything I needed. It almost did (hoses and fittings), but there is a required high pressure shutoff switch that requires a T fitting in the drier to evap line, and that fitting was not included with the hose kit or the switch.
More? I was happy to learn that they made AC dash outlets specifically to fit in the '39/'40 two ashtray holes, far left and right in the stock dash. But last night I discovered that the VA pieces are 1/8-1/4" smaller than the holes they are to fit in. I expected a snug fit. Why the gaps for items custom designed for this car?
I will be calling VA tomorrow to see what they have to say. Right now I am quite disgruntled with a manufacturer reputed to be the market leader.

Last edited by Bluedot : 10-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #72
TPogue
Floater

My dad has had Louie Worth’s son do upholstery work for him.
Works out of his garage on the side so might want get ahold of him in advance.
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #73
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Well

Good to know about vintage air. Most of my stuff is street/strip so I don't have A.C. in them. But I am just starting redoing a 58 Ford as a nice driver that will include A.C. So I may need to look at some other sources other than vintage air.

James
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #74
Bluedot
Floater

Don't count them (VA) out - it's prolly just me. They wouldn't have 3/4 of the market if they were screw-ups. The "other guys" may be worse. And I am muddling thru the challenges. Just today in fact, I got the fittings clamped on all 5 AC hoses. Ameriflex did 'em for me on the spot (walk-in) in ten minutes for $25.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:13 AM   #75
TPogue
Floater

What did VA tell you about the vents?
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #76
Bluedot
Floater

Actually, I never reached them on the phone (phone tag). I played with the vents a bit, and it appears that if they are cocked at a bit of an angle in the hole, the fit is better. By an angle, I mean instead if straight out of the dash corner surface as I'd been trying, angled more toward the rear of the car. That would make the airflow more in the direction of the occupants anyway - prolly what VA intended. Instructions are not very clear.