MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Garage & Tool Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #21
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Since I was having the garage sale at the shop yesterday, I spent my time cleaning and organizing some more. I emptied out my smaller blast cabinet (switching from nasty "Black Diamond" to white silica sand) and decided to take the opportunity to mount the blast cabinet on some steel casters to make it easier to move around. Another one of those projects I've wanted to do for ever but had been putting off because of the hassle involved. Essentially, it's a heavy duty furniture dolly made to fit the blast cabinet legs. Also gave me a place to put the small shop vac I use for a dust collecter so they don't have to be moved separately.

George William Curtis

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 07-04-2017 at 09:00 AM.
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 AM   #22
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Well, I decided to brave the heat, Sunday, and try to get some more done at the shop. Yesteryear Classics closed up shop and had an auction last Monday evening. My boss went on a feeding frenzy and bought a whole bunch of stuff. Included in his hoard was the entire contents of this one storage room. All the parts and the shelves too. Well he didn't want quite all the parts or the shelving so he told me I could have what was left if I went and got it. I wound up with a bunch of 70 Chevelle, some 69 Camaro parts, and 4 shelf sections. I have been needing to put some shelves in one of my storage units and these were perfect for me. Here is the mess I started with at 8:15 Sunday morning...

I started dragging crap out and stacking it down the drive on either side of my unit. Thank God neither of my neighbors showed up to get into their units. By 11:30 or so I had the back wall, left corner, and about 20 feet of one wall cleared out.

The shelves went in pretty quickly although I had to cut the fourth one a little shorter so I could stack it on top of the others.

Then I started going through mangled boxes, crushed totes and sorting, consolidating, and trashing anything that wasn't worth keeping. I wound up emptying 14 plastic totes, 7 of which were damaged beyond re use. I took four large armloads of empty boxes to the dumpster and threw away another large tote full of trash. By 11:30 Sunday night, here is what I ended up with...

I now know what is in every tote, that every one is actually full, and I have an idea of which ones I need to empty first, as space becomes available in the main shop. Then I can start transferring more stuff into this unit from one of the other two.

George William Curtis

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 07-04-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #23
Bluedot
I live here!

Wow, lotta work! Whaddya figger the temp was in there while you were doing all that? It hit 101 outside, hadda be hotter in a metal building oven.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #24
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Actually it wasn't too bad except when I stepped out into the sunshine. I had a big industrial pedestal fan blowing right on me all day. I was wearing swim shorts and I tossed the shirt almost immediately so as long as I was in front of the fan it was bearable. I think I put away about a half a case of water, though. I much prefer to work at night but I seem to be having some difficulty getting out there after dark. I'm just glad to see some major progress on this whole project. So often it seems like I go out there and work a few hours and when I go to leave, the progress I made isn't visible. It was like that when I was sorting inventory. It would take several hours to empty a tote or two and you just couldn't see any change.

George William Curtis

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 07-04-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #25
Bluedot
I live here!

well I just wondered about that metal building. I stepped into Duck's shop briefly Saturday, and the real temp in there was 117. No fan is gonna be good enuf to make me stay in that!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #26
CamaroDoc
I live here!

I don't think it ever got that hot in there. Of course I had the door open early and never strayed very far from the fan for any length of time... Just glad I got it done. I still need to do the front half but it's not nearly as bad as the back corner was. Maybe a project for this next weekend...

George William Curtis

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 07-04-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #27
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Just a little update. I've been working on the shop whenever I can get the time and there has been some major progress/ improvement. However, this weekend, I ran back down to Fort Worth and closed out my little shop space down there. I'm not able to spend enough time down there to justify the cost so I decided to just slash the overhead, so to speak. It took a day and a half to dismantle everything and load the 16' Budget truck to get everything moved back up here. 5 hoods, 7 fenders, 4 decklids, 4 bumpers, about 15 totes, workbench, toolboxes, bins, shelving, a good sized pile of larger parts, some assorted building materials/ hardware, and my tow dolly. Once again, the aisles are blocked and it's hard to move around the shop. I figure it will take about a week, working evenings, to get everything sorted and put up again...

Here is a shot of a new shelf I put up a couple of weeks ago. That space was occupied by a large pile of nasty greasy Oldsmobile engine parts that was continually snagging my pants legs and falling over in the aisle. Most of those parts are now on the lower shelves in plastic bins and the upper part now holds some of my fabrication tools and supplies. I have also put up 4 new tool boards but I don't have any pics of those yet. Consider this a teaser...

George William Curtis

Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #28
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Well, I've been at it some more. Yesterday I decided to attack the northeast corner of the shop. In that corner I have a set of 8' x 2' pallet racks that stand 12' tall. The rack actually goes through the floor of the free standing upper deck that warehouses all my Camaro parts . The top of the rack upstairs holds all my cylinder heads, intakes, brake drums and rotors, and a few exhaust manifolds.

I only had one shelf on the rack down stairs, at about shoulder height. The shelf only had a couple of large boxes, pair of wheels, and a few misc other items on it and had a bunch of empty boxes, buckets, and large sheets of cardboard piled under it. I always intended to turn that area into a large work station since that area has some of the best lighting in the shop. First I cleaned off the shelf to make way for the project. I also had to air up the tires on one of my 73's to move it back a few feet to give me room to work.

I lowered the shelf to a more comfortable work height, and added a couple of cabinets underneath it from out of another storage unit I'm trying to empty out. The back of the bench top wouldn't reach all the way to the back wall so I added a backboard to keep stuff from falling back behind the workbench. The backboard then turned into a small shelf and a convenient place to store a few Holley carbs that recently followed me home from the Claremore swap meet. Then I hung up a set of three vintage Challenger tool boards that were given to me by my grandfather, back when I was a teenager. It's really nice to see them back on the wall where they belong instead of just piled in the floor. The space between the cabinets turned out to be a good place to store all my T-tops, at least for the time being. Today I get to reload and organize the cabinets and then move on to the next part of the spring cleaning project...

George William Curtis

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 07-04-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #29
Bluedot
I live here!

I saw a sign in an office once that said, "A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind." I disagree - clutter drives me crazy. Kudos to you for creating a clean and organized workplace.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Thanks, Kit. I'm sure it will be cluttered up soon enough. . I'm just trying to get as much stuff squeezed into as little space as possible and still have a workspace that I can actually work in. I still have today and tomorrow, too. No telling what I might get accomplished. The weather is perfect for doing this kind of thing...

George William Curtis