MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Garage & Tool Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 04:20 AM   #1
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Default My brothers new shop. The Birds' Nest...

My brother just rented himself a shop here in Skiatook. He's a truck driver that has spent the last 10 years living in his truck and he really wanted a place where he could stretch out and relax on his down time. He was looking at buying a camper and paying lot rent to park it on, but this shop turned up and is a more useful and affordable option. In addition it gives him a place to work on his 79 Firebird project that is a little better equipped and less cramped than the storage unit he's been working in. He'll also be able to park his pickup in there while he's out of town instead of in my front yard.

My brother has really been a godsend during my recovery from cancer surgery. He stepped up and covered my bills for about 4 months until I could get back on my feet. Now I'm trying to repay him somewhat by helping get this new shop set up and functional while he's out on the road. I've been cleared to go back to work but with this virus thing, I'm still not working much so I have some time on my hands. Since the shop has 220v we are moving some of my heavier equipment in that has been just sitting idle. Air compressors, welders, blast cabinet, brake lathes, etc. The shop came with a bunch of white pegboard already installed so that is really nice. He's going to let me work on my daughters 67 Camaro in there as well so I set up a small tool area of my own. We pretty much share everything but I still feel funny using other peoples tools.

We moved my daughters old day bed into the shop for him to crash on when he's here. He had a fridge and a microwave in his storage that we moved into the office area. He also had a stand for a large aquarium. I tossed a new 4' formica counter top on it that looks like it belongs there. That will give him someplace to put his propane cook stove and some counter space to cook on. He bought a new 40 gallon water heater to replace the 6 gallon tank that didn't work anyway so he can put in a shower, too. The plexiglass window between the shop and office was broken and had been covered with more pegboard. I found a sliding window at Habitat for Humanity that fit and got it installed. Here's a couple of early pics of what we started with.

Only two of the six 8' light fixtures in the shop were working when we got the shop. One of them had 2 new LED light tubes in it but they weren't working. There was a third LED tube leaning in one corner. Since I had just converted my bosses shop lights to LED I pulled these down and found they were not wired correctly. I rewired three of the fixtures and installed one LED tube each. Talking to the landlord I found out the LED tubes were purchased from a parts store here in town. Neither Lowes or Home Depot carry them. I picked up three more tubes and rewired the other fixtures. Man, what a difference!!! From dungeon to daylight. We'll pick up the other six tubes as we can, since they are a little expensive at $28 each. Here's some of the first larger equipment we moved in. The red compressor is wired in and functional and the black one is just being used for increased volume when sand blasting. I'll get more pics as things progress...

The gas pedal is the one on the right....

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 05-28-2020 at 04:25 AM.
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Fairlane62
Duckling

Looks good Doc. You are blessed with a good brother.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Yes, I am...

Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Bluedot
I live here!

Cool beans. Family first, good that you two lookout for each other.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
CamaroDoc
I live here!

The real kicker is, that we are not really related. We met on a Greyhound bus in OKC in September of 1980. We were both headed to a Job Corps center on the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge west of Lawton but we didn't know that at the time. We didn't like each other at first. He looked like a hippie stoner, and he thought I looked like a bookworm.

We spent about 2 hours on the bus glaring at each other... In Lawton we both got off the bus and spent some more time glaring at each other in the bus station. The Job Corps van showed up and we both boarded it. The dirty looks continued. At the center, not only did they put us in the same dorm, but they put us in bunks right next to each other. The looks went on for a few days before the ice cracked and we finally started talking and hanging out. We pretty much adopted each other. His family has all passed except for a couple of sisters and some distant relatives. Ours truly is a friendship forged in fire...

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 06-03-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Bluedot
I live here!

That, my good sir, is quite a story! Blood or not, brotherhood is great. And it sure looks like yours was meant to be.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Yep

Good story, glad y'all lived through the first few days so it could get better. That's a good lesson to be learned, most folks will get things worked out on their own if given time.

Last edited by Fairlane62 : 06-04-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote