MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > The Pond
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Default Well, Are we bored yet? ? ?

As we all know, This coronavirus pandemic has shut down all the car shows, cruise-ins, swap meets, races, and almost every other public activity that we all love. Thankfully, there is now talk of gradually reopening the nations businesses and recreational venues. While this is great news, some of the best automotive events for this year have already been cancelled or their dates have passed. Well there may be some good news on the horizon.

As many of you know, I have been recovering from colon cancer. I had surgery on Dec 10, 2019, and have been undergoing chemotherapy ever since. My diagnosis, surgery, and ongoing treatment would not have been possible without the aid of the Tulsa Dream Center. Through a partnership agreement with the Arubah clinic in Collinsville, Ascension St John's, The Tulsa Dream Center, and the Kaiser Foundation, I have received the outstanding treatment that without which, would have meant a certain death sentence for me. I was the very first patient to receive care under this new agreement. In some ways I have become a poster child for the Tulsa Dream Center and have gotten to meet and know some of the leadership there. During these trying times, They have really stepped up their operations by offering Food, Clothing, Medical services, Legal assistance, and Tax preparation to families in need. In an effort to try to give something back, I have been asked to help with a fundraising project.

Sometime around the September/ October time frame, They are wanting to hold a massive automotive fundraising event which will include a Car Show, Swap Meet, and a Cackle Fest. There was some mention of a burnout contest. Someone we all know and trust has been asked to handle the organization due to his extensive experience with these type events. I'll refrain from naming him until we know if he accepts the challenge. The event will be held on a large paved lot in Tulsa, so there won't be any mudholes or soggy swap spaces. Prices will be on par with normal Swaps and Car Shows, and all funds will be used to further the efforts of the Tulsa Dream Center. Any and all participation would be appreciated. I am just tossing this out there as an early heads up for anyone who might like to be a vendor or show participant... Give you something else to ponder and look forward to as we sit at home...

https://tulsadreamcenter.org/

The gas pedal is the one on the right....

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 04-16-2020 at 07:15 PM.
CamaroDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
Wrenchbender
Floater

As much as I would like to say I have been bored it has been the exact opposite for me itís been long work days thanks to a less than full work crew seems like more people are spending money while they are at home not doin anything it hasnít slowed down for us at work itís actually gotten busier we are not worried right now but Iím sure six months from now it will dry up I hope not but we are preparing for it lol. Also as much as I want to be out at the race track car show or swap meet itís actually been a good time to save some more coin to be able to do those things when the time comes Doc I hope you keep us informed on this event as it sounds like a good deal for a good cause I for one will be there if at all possible and last but certainly not least Iím glad you are doin well and are on the mend
Wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Bluedot
I live here!

Two things, Doc:
1. Super happy to hear you are doing well. That had to have been quite an ordeal.
2. RE the planned event, nice to have something to look fwd to, not only for the event itself, but as a motivation to get projects done so they'll be back on the street by then (That's a hint to ...myself!)
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
TPogue
Floater

Glad to hear you are doing well Doc.
Burn out contest at a cancer center?
A friend of mine was told by a doctor at MD Anderson that tire smoke was a major carcinogen.
TPogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Actually it will be held in a big church parking lot... Other than the changes due to my new ostomy bag and frequent drs appointments, my life is already back to pretty much normal. We're not working very many hours at work due to the virus shutdown, though, so I'm hustling parts, dismantling parts cars, lining up more to bring in, and working on my own numerous projects. I have two cars scheduled to come in next weekend. a 78 Z-28 and a 79 T/A. My daughter moved back to Edmond this morning so I no longer have "quiet hours" at the house either... Full speed ahead...

Old 05-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Bluedot
I live here!

Default Oct date conflict?

Doc, when you're planning your Dream Center event, you might wanna avoid Oct 30-31. See https://thehotrodgathering.com/ Posted on Jalopy Journal today. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=44873
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
33willysgasr
Hoser

Glad to hear your recovery is going well Doc! Sounds like a cool event, I'll try and make it if I'm not racing when it gets a date!
Old 05-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedot View Post
Doc, when you're planning your Dream Center event, you might wanna avoid Oct 30-31. See https://thehotrodgathering.com/ Posted on Jalopy Journal today. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=44873
I'm not in charge of the date setting but I'll pass along the input. As for me, I am back hard at it... My brother just rented himself a real shop here in Skiatook this weekend, and he has me helping him get it set up and functional. You all know how much I like doing that stuff. The shop came with almost a whole wall of pegboard for organizing tools and parts. and has an office that he plans to live in when he's in town. He's a truck driver that hauls heavy oversize loads and is tired of strictly living in the truck all the time. He looked into buying a camper and paying lot rent but the shop is a much better option for less money...

The shop has a few electrical issues that I'm working on and he wants to put in a shower and a larger hot water tank. We have the owners blessing on whatever upgrades we make. We already upgraded half the shops 6 non-working fluorescent light fixtures to LEDs. WOW what a difference and they only have one bulb apiece at the moment. Can't wait to get enough to do the rest. Saturday, I managed to get my old 62 Ford C600 truck pulled out of the mudhole I parked it in 4 years ago. I had it hauled to Roy's new shop so I can work on it more easily. Tonight I drove up to Dewey and picked up a 72 Pontiac 455 for him since he's out on the road. It will make a nice future upgrade from the 400 he has now for his 'Bird.

First of the larger equipment to get moved in. The black compressor will just serve as a tank for extra volume when sand blasting.

Last edited by CamaroDoc : 05-05-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #9
CamaroDoc
I live here!

Here's some old pics of the '62 C600 Dump bed truck. Used to be a grain truck but I'm thinking car hauler. 260 V8, 4 speed and a two speed rear axle. Only has 11,400 original miles on the odometer. This beast has some serious sitting time on it... Unfortunately I think is has suffered some damage as a result.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
Wrenchbender
Floater

I just sold a 60 c-600 and thatís exactly what the new owner is doin with it he is gonna haul his 64 dragonsnake cobra with it Iím workin on a 49 Chevy 6400 series truck for misty to haul cars with it will have a Cummins 12 valve and a 5speed in it hoping to get goin on it in the next week or so
Wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote