MTV.com Lwis Drop-Down Menu Theme

Go Back   The POND > General Discussion > Tech Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #11
Bluedot
Floater

I decided to surf the 'net a bit for brackets, hoping to get some new ideas for how to design some from scratch. Ran across these Spal brackets - simple, and cheap. Just my style. So cheap that even with shipping from Jegs, about the same as the raw materials would have cost me to make them myself. Ordered four, shud arrive tomorrow.
https://www.jegs.com/i/SPAL/063/30130011/10002/-1
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Fairlane62
Duckling

Default Yep

That is cheap. There was just one review but it was very positive. Let us know how they work out.
Fairlane62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
Bluedot
Floater

They worked great - very easily adaptable to just about any fan/rad set-up. Now I just have to figure out what I messed up in the wiring connections while I was fiddling around with the mounts, cuz I have no juice to the fan.
It never ends....
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
Bluedot
Floater

Found it - just a terminal pulled loose at the relay. The fan runs. Not silent by any means, but noticeably less noise that the Maradyne it replaced. And pulls a LOT of air. I calculated that at the rated 3000cfm thru a 16" fan, minus the area of the motor, it's a 26mph wind. I was impressed.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Bluedot
Floater

Default Success!

Holy crap, this new fan is terrific. (Flex-a-Lite 238). Their new patent pending blade design really works - and they are not curved blades, but don't let that deter you. I got everything buttoned up, went out for a brief drive. Now going down the road, I don't need to run it at all (it's on a manual switch). But then coming home, slow thru the neighborhood and pulling into the driveway, it has a habit of quickly jumping over 200, and I flip on the switch. The old fan (2160 cfm) pulled it back down OK, but this new fan pulls it down much faster. And quiet? Yikes, I had to turn the engine off to hear if it was running. Lots quieter than the Maradyne curved blade.
Only two wee complaints: (1) the wire leads do not have a plug, or even terminals, and (2) it didn't even include the "feet" that are used for mounting. A little surprising for a $155 fan, but no regrets. It us far superior to any other electric fan I've ever used.
Interesting side note (I'm a numbers guy.) I wondered how fast the air would be going through a 16" fan at 3000cfm, taking into account subtracting the area of the motor. I'll skip the calcs here, but it works out to 26mph.

Last edited by Bluedot : 04-23-2019 at 08:08 PM.